Military Hospitals

printer icon

World War 1

  • Afton Lodge Auxiliary Hospital, Freshwater
  • Seely Red Cross Hospital, Gatcombe House, Newport
  • Red Cross Hospital, Quay Street, Newport
  • Hazelwood Auxiliary Hospital, Ryde
  • Quarr Abbey Auxiliary Hospital, Ryde
  • The Castle Auxiliary Hospital, Ryde. Miss Evelyn Jessie Mary Black-Barnes, Matron
  • Underwath Auxiliary Hospital, Woolverton Rd, St. Lawrence, Ventnor
  • Northwood Auxiliary Hospital, East Cowes
  • Brooke Hill Auxiliary Hospital, (Officers only)
  • Convalescent Home at Osborne House, (Officers only)

Hazelwood Auxiliary Hospital, Ryde

22 March 1917 - Hazelwood Hospital, the following gifts have been received at this hospital during this week:-

Picture of Hazelwood Auxiliary Hospital, Ryde
Hazelwood Auxiliary Hospital, Ryde
  • Cigarettes, Miss Stride;
  • Soup, Miss Denman Murray;
  • Puzzles, Miss M Fardell, Miss E Ryall;
  • Dressings, The Joint War Committee, London;
  • Slippers, Miss Baines;
  • Papers and Books, Mrs Latto, Mrs Stainer;
  • Brandy, Mr Latto;
  • Flowers, Miss Lawson.

14 patients were discharged during the week. Total now in Hospital 80. The men were entertained at Trinity Hall to a Whist-drive. The Hospital was inspected by Mrs Latter, assistant Matron of the Joint War Committee, British Red Cross and St John Ambulance, she expressed herself very pleased with all she had seen. (Isle of Wight Times)

17 December 1917 - The Mayor's Fund for the wounded soldiers at Hazelwood amounts to £371 19s. (Isle of Wight Times)

Picture of Hazelwood, Ryde 1906
Hazelwood, Ryde 1906

The Castle Auxiliary Hospital, Ryde

During World War One many grand private homes were offered for War Service and The Castle was adapted as a fully equipped Red Cross Hospital.

Picture of The Castle Auxiliary Hospital, Ryde
The Castle Auxiliary Hospital, Ryde

In 1915 Kleo Friend, Commandant Voluntary Aid Detachment Hants, wrote to John Oglander, Island Lord Lieutenant, to say that Colonel Hosie considered The Castle, offered by Colonel Cradock, most suitable. It had four Officers Rooms and the War Office Food contribution would be 2/- per head, 3/- for enterics. 30 convalescent typhoid cases had already been taken. She also reported that doctors in the town were speaking very highly of the work of her members.

Mabel Gough-Calthorpe also wrote to John Oglander to explain that she had been trying very hard to get Miss Friend started at The Castle. "Lord Kitchener stated he would require 40,000 more beds by the end of March:- here is a house which in a week’s time could be ready to receive about 40 wounded men, the house fully equipped as a convalescent hospital with all necessary material and a division of well trained nurses. Our wounded men will be nursed back to health and so in many cases able to return to the front and God knows we want every available man if England is to win in this awful war."

22 March 1917 - The Castle Hospital, the hospital is still full up. Mrs Latter, assistant Matron inspected the hospital and expressed herself pleased with it. The whist drive at Trinity Hall, to which the patients were invited by the Trinity Canteen helpers, proved a great success. Mrs Grant, Miss Young and Mr Hackshaw sent illustrated papers; the Rev T J Puckle, Mrs Richards, Miss Cocks, and Mrs Forsythe, eggs; Mr Carter, rabbits; Col and Mrs Cradock, daily papers; Misses Morris, a home-made cake; Miss Lawson, arum lilies; and Miss Mechan, cigarettes. (Isle of Wight Times)

Golden Hill Fort Hospital

Picture of the new Golden Hill Fort Hospital built in 1897
The new Golden Hill Fort Hospital built in 1897 to the north of the fort in Hill Lane. Today the building serves as a masonic hall.
Picture of Military Hospital Parkhurst Barracks
Military Hospital Parkhurst Barracks
Picture provided by Mrs. Carver
Picture of Nursing staff at Parkhurst Military Hospital
Nursing staff at Parkhurst Military Hospital
Picture provided by Mrs. Carver